Friday, December 24, 2010
christmas eve
I think as we get older, it feels less & less like Christmas & probably 10-20 years from now, we'll be acting as the santa claus which takes all the magic away. A lot of people have said that they wished they still believed in santa claus, was a little kid again, all of that. I get it too. I wish Christmas felt like Christmas. I think it all depends on who you spend it with & how you use that time together. I'll kick myself if I waste too much time here blogging about it or taking photos rather than spending that time with my family.

I have a very korean Christmas this year. My grandparents [mum's side] are here & we just had wollamsam, listening to Christmas carols. Sarah & I had grape juice in the lightingup wine glasses we got from watching the musical "Wicked". It's also korean so I actually feel sort of headachey right now. Wollamsam was delicious as always & just being part of family conversations is fun- grandma brought zebra cake [my favourite (:] & a card which I have yet to open. Grandma was excited to make me open the card, going in korean, "I wrote it very carefully & beautifully -laughs- actually it's sort of wobbly since I was so happy & laughing when writing it". Her words made me think & touched me. I love those moments when you feel special as if someone wants to impress you or make you happy, GMH, yeah ?

Grandpa is quiet as always, I think he's been more quiet ever since he's moved to Sydney but mum & dad just say he's that type. Dad bought mum a "marriage/romance" book for her birthday where it talks about 2 main types of people- the dead sea [the listener] & the babbling brook [the talker]. Dad says I'm the biggest babbling brook because I literally can't shut up, & that mum's the dead sea while he's the deader sea. And my grandma's quite a babbling brook so I think my mum inherits the deadseaness from my grandpa although mum usually talks a lot too. I don't know.

Sarah finished early to come down & play piano next to me so I'm here blogging about my simple Christmas eve. Grandpa just came down & talked a little about the big family photo which was nice but sort of awkward- I'll try to make conversation because I love my grandpa, I just don't talk to him enough.

There's no decoration, no Christmas tree by choice but I suppose I get the replacement camera I lost & it's still light [sunset summer], nothing like Christmas but I'm waiting for there to be that special Christmassy festive feeling- like magic, as if it's snowing or the carols start singing. A year ago, we spent it at home I think but we spent a lot of the time with our family friends from Korea [Dad's friend, his wife & their daughter Heesoo], we watched "Miracle on 34th street" & it felt sort of simple Christmas but really nice because we went out to the city often. The year before was incredible, fully winter wonderland on one of the top storeys in a 5star hotel in Korea. I wonder what this year will be like...I really hope you have a great Christmas & I wish you the best New Years day followed by a whole bunch of great moments that make up the next year, 2011. (:

Merry Christmas.