Sunday, July 10, 2011
unconditional love; SYNC's 30th anniversay
Grandma & grandpa [dad's side] called to wish us a good camp & when I got the call, all I could say was "yes, yes, yes" politely in Korean since I suck at replying to my wonderful grandparents in my own language. After grandma told me how much she loved me & we said bye and everything, I waited for her to hang up. She thought she had hung up & I just waited, listening into the phone. And you know how usually in dramas, the person on the other line starts spilling some gigantic secret/scandal because he/she thought that the phone was off? [refer to the tv show Scrubs when JD is talking to Elliot while Danni's on the line]. Anyway, I listened to the background voices of my grandma telling grandpa about how every week I go to see her at church & all her friends say nice things about me as a good grand daughter & how much I've grown. It's just the usual commenting & obligatory praise so I never thought of it as much- since a grandma should love her grand daughter & her friends should smile at that. I just thought of it as natural. But when I listened in on my grandma telling grandpa it again how all her friends were jealous of her & she just started laughing & talking in pure joy about how much she loves us, how she is proud of us, all those times when we were little. I'm her first grandchild & she really adores all of us. It made me realise how real that is- that it isn't just "the usual commenting, obligatory praise, unconditional love", it's the real pride & love involved in family. I could just hear the smiling in her voice & grandpa's happy agreement. I thought I understood most things about family but it took me eavesdropping into my grandparent's conversation to understand the love they have even when nobody's watching. I have a lot to learn.
RECOUNT OF TODAY;
SYDNEY YOUNG NAK CHURCH'S 30TH ANNIVERSARY
A little about my church- SYNC. I may not be as close to the people there as school but it's like a family; a network of legacies, friends, families. My parents were married in that church like so many others. Two people who sang at their wedding [my dad's friends] are dads of the kids I think are so cute as they run around church. My grandfather [dad's side] helped found it. And I was 2 years old when the church moved to Telopea. It's been 30 years, meaning it has seen 15 years longer than I have. So many friends, trusts, brothers & sisters have been made at church. So many newcomers who've stayed, lots of people my age have grandparents & parents who are elders at the church. I know it sounds strange but it feels almost like a tribe or an ancestry. 30 years isn't that long but I hope that I'll still be here for so many years after to watch the church grow more. The video montage really helped to illustrate how special the church is- it showed the old location of the church, the people who grew up from teenagers to become church leaders, the different good times, the changes in faith. Also, we sang happy birthday for it, & I watched everyone I know around church, their kids, their parents, become something stronger than just people we see every Sunday. There was just this lovely, warm, celebratory buzz. The people who cut the cake was the Pastor, several other elders [including my grandpa & the Reverend who wed my parents]. I don't understand enough but I think I would have cried if I knew the church from the beginning. I wonder what it's like to have so much emotional investment in a place, more than anywhere or any feeling I could imagine. I want to see what happens in the next 50 years or so, how many new people will come to know Christ, how many people will become lifelong bros, how many newborns will grow up in the chruch, or how many people will be inspired to do God's will. I want to around when God blesses this body further & changes.
After church, my family watched Kungfu Panda 2. Yes, I will not go on about how awesome it was since everybody knows but CHYEAAH.
Tomorrow is church camp- so pumped for skits, warcries, intense sermons & pulling allnighters. Excitedddd.
|
Sunday, July 10, 2011
unconditional love; SYNC's 30th anniversay
Grandma & grandpa [dad's side] called to wish us a good camp & when I got the call, all I could say was "yes, yes, yes" politely in Korean since I suck at replying to my wonderful grandparents in my own language. After grandma told me how much she loved me & we said bye and everything, I waited for her to hang up. She thought she had hung up & I just waited, listening into the phone. And you know how usually in dramas, the person on the other line starts spilling some gigantic secret/scandal because he/she thought that the phone was off? [refer to the tv show Scrubs when JD is talking to Elliot while Danni's on the line]. Anyway, I listened to the background voices of my grandma telling grandpa about how every week I go to see her at church & all her friends say nice things about me as a good grand daughter & how much I've grown. It's just the usual commenting & obligatory praise so I never thought of it as much- since a grandma should love her grand daughter & her friends should smile at that. I just thought of it as natural. But when I listened in on my grandma telling grandpa it again how all her friends were jealous of her & she just started laughing & talking in pure joy about how much she loves us, how she is proud of us, all those times when we were little. I'm her first grandchild & she really adores all of us. It made me realise how real that is- that it isn't just "the usual commenting, obligatory praise, unconditional love", it's the real pride & love involved in family. I could just hear the smiling in her voice & grandpa's happy agreement. I thought I understood most things about family but it took me eavesdropping into my grandparent's conversation to understand the love they have even when nobody's watching. I have a lot to learn.
RECOUNT OF TODAY;
SYDNEY YOUNG NAK CHURCH'S 30TH ANNIVERSARY
A little about my church- SYNC. I may not be as close to the people there as school but it's like a family; a network of legacies, friends, families. My parents were married in that church like so many others. Two people who sang at their wedding [my dad's friends] are dads of the kids I think are so cute as they run around church. My grandfather [dad's side] helped found it. And I was 2 years old when the church moved to Telopea. It's been 30 years, meaning it has seen 15 years longer than I have. So many friends, trusts, brothers & sisters have been made at church. So many newcomers who've stayed, lots of people my age have grandparents & parents who are elders at the church. I know it sounds strange but it feels almost like a tribe or an ancestry. 30 years isn't that long but I hope that I'll still be here for so many years after to watch the church grow more. The video montage really helped to illustrate how special the church is- it showed the old location of the church, the people who grew up from teenagers to become church leaders, the different good times, the changes in faith. Also, we sang happy birthday for it, & I watched everyone I know around church, their kids, their parents, become something stronger than just people we see every Sunday. There was just this lovely, warm, celebratory buzz. The people who cut the cake was the Pastor, several other elders [including my grandpa & the Reverend who wed my parents]. I don't understand enough but I think I would have cried if I knew the church from the beginning. I wonder what it's like to have so much emotional investment in a place, more than anywhere or any feeling I could imagine. I want to see what happens in the next 50 years or so, how many new people will come to know Christ, how many people will become lifelong bros, how many newborns will grow up in the chruch, or how many people will be inspired to do God's will. I want to around when God blesses this body further & changes.
After church, my family watched Kungfu Panda 2. Yes, I will not go on about how awesome it was since everybody knows but CHYEAAH.
Tomorrow is church camp- so pumped for skits, warcries, intense sermons & pulling allnighters. Excitedddd.
|
Profilé
Writer
Hello, I'm Grace, 16, Christian, go to a school filled with cows & Asians & loving it like mad. You can't really talk about yourself without sounding like an attention-seeking derp so yeah, this blog is for to read when I'm old & my memory's all gone LOL but I hope it cures your boredom sometimes.
Recent
|
Affiliates
|