Sunday, February 5, 2012
Truly sweet 16th
Funny how my sweet 16th was bittersweet because I loved the people & their sweet presents & cards & hated the rain. I loved getting to eat things before tutoring & the friends who sang a public display of the birthday song in the middle of the Strathfield food court & hated the actual tutoring. I loved how my Mum picked me up & bought me viet food & chocolate for the chocolate fondue & hated the argument we had about nothing in particular on the way home. I hated eating dinner angrily because of this & loved my sister for hugging me & making jokes anyway & then my Mum for reconciling the fight. I hated how my Dad couldn't be there because he was in a meeting in Melbourne but loved the chocolate fondue & all the facebook birthday wishes that made me feel all warm inside. See what I mean? There's a common theme of family, friends & food in this. I wouldn't change any of it for the world.

The night before my birthday, I was brushing my teeth when I suddenly realised it was past 12. So I creeped into Sarah's room where Mum was tucking her in & whispered "Mum! It's my birthday". Her face lit up & she hugged me, saying "Happy birthday, Grace! You know, this is proof you're sleeping late" & then shortly afterwards "Agghh, you're getting toothpaste on me!". So I left to creep down the stairs with major stealth to the middle floor & whispered "Dad, I'm 16" & he was in his study so I heard him smile & go "ahh" & he walked up to the middle floor & hugged me, saying "Happy birthday, my darling girl. Sweet sixteenth! -incoherent mumbling while hugging tighter- Mummy & daddy are so happy you came along". All as my mouth was full of toothpaste foam like a rabid dog, haha. Later on, I laid next to Sarah & told her while she was half-asleep- she refused to say happy birthday. Just special moments I'd like to remember later on. 

So that was the beginning of 03/02/12.

& for yesterday which was 04/02/12, I was procrastinating for most of the day even though I kept feeling like I should be studying. I went to my first UMAT class which was mediocre. I was organising chants for my sports house [Jones] for swimming carnival which is tomorrow & made it a parody of the Pokemon theme song ! We ate dinner at Torin in Eastwood & bought a birthday cake from Pishon. MY NEW HEADPHONES CAME. Well apparently they came yesterday [amazingly, in time for my birthday] but Mum didn't realise it was for me so it kind of sat there at the front door for a day. Also, I was packing lollies for the swimming carnival when my sister barges into my room & then this is how our conversation goes.

Me- "Reckon this is enough?"
Sarah- "You're packing lollies to bribe people?"
Me- "No, it's simply out of the goodness of my heart. Why would I need to bribe?"
Sarah- "Because they'll hate you after tomorrow, duhh, you can't even swim. What sort of house captain are you? Who the hell voted for you?"
Me- "I can just participate!"
Sarah- "No, you need way more lollies to bribe" 
-she looks at me meaningfully as if to say that I know she's right-
-I realise she's right & run down to the kitchen-
Me [spastically]- "Mum! I need more lollies!"
Mum- "You can just bring these" -holds out box of lollies that were in the pinata-
Me- "No, I need more! It's like 200 people"
Sarah- "Yeah, everyone will hate her"
- Mum holds me at arms length & looks frantically, wide-eyed & deep into my eyes]
Mum- "Think of Jejus!" [ahaha, yes, she may have pronounced it like that on purpose"
Sarah & I- "..what?"
Mum- "Think of Jejus, he fed thousands of people with 5 pieces of bread & 2 fish!"
-Sarah & I are rofling-
Me- "THAT IS SO NOT RELEVANT"
-Sarah still rofling & muttering "Jejus?"-
Mum- "Think of Jejus!"

But eventually, Mum gave in upon realisation that the lollies weren't enough to keep everyone from bashing me so all's a happy ending.

Also when I was ignoring Sarah because I was on the computer, I heard her head pop in the door every so often singing an original song by her, repeatedly going "I love me as I always have loved me". I guess it's what happens when she gets lonely.

Dad came home quite late & I got to show off my new headphones to him.

05/02/12- Today

Today, my family's going to go church & then for dinner, we're off to the city to the "The Little Snail" where I ate for French excursion & it's my proper birthday dinner since Dad couldn't make it on Friday. Dad & I are definitely going to eat snails, Sarah is a maybe if she doesn't chicken out & Mum is a definite no. I think it'll be so delicious, fun & a night to remember but I may or may not blog about it so this is just to do it in advance. Then, we're going to eat the birthday cake. Can't wait! I'm one of those people that always needs something to look forward to.

It's funny because Dad always says he needs a 3-day-long birthday [a prebirthday, his actual birthday & a birthday review]- sometimes he says it should go for months. But mine is actually turning into that this year. 

Lots of family, friends & food. Don't know anyone who could ask for more. Thank you everyone for being a part of it & being there for the past few years to keep me living. <3