Tuesday, March 29, 2011
I'm vague and usually floating- my inadequacies
I'm not smart enough, pretty enough, sporty enough. I'm not a good person, I procrastinate too much, I whine and complain.I'm superficial, shallow, unncecessary. I suck at making friends, I concentrate on the negative, I am not needed in a conversation. No one pays attention to me. I'm jealous and I never do what I say I'm going to do. I'm tired and exhausted over the smallest things. I can't tell anyone how I feel, I'm not assertive, I'm either too shy or loud, I don't have any talent or skills in anything. Yesterday, Pearl, Catherine & I were talking about inadequacies on the bus. And I never thought about it consciously but I just know I feel inadequate. It's just obvious to me. I'm overly critical about everyone but most of all myself and I just realised there are more times I feel inadequate than not [those rare moments are like just after that annual compliment or whatever].
BUT WAIT; then I realised everyone I know must feel this. I don't know how often or how hard it is but everyone does feel it.
And nobody should feel inadequate- they are more than enough, they are God's child, they were created for a reason. Just being born into a world that has everything you need and even more luxuries, where water falls out of the sky, where food grows on trees, where good people and love exist...that must mean you're a miracle in itself, you are more than blessed, you are more than special. The world sounds like a heaven. What are the chances that we are living on a planet that, in our knowledge, is the only one with life on it? You are one of the 6 billion humans living today. It seems like a big number but it really isn't. Why are we thinking we are inadequate, selfishly thinking only of ourselves, when there are another 6 billion people who need our help. Because we all need other people.
Even so, because this is my blog and I talk entirely too much about myself anywhere, I wanted to list my inadequacies, the imperfections,on here. I probably have a million more but I don't really want to think about them. Almost to scan through them & tell myself that it's ok to feel inadequate but just to know that I'm not. That I'm not perfect but I'm forgiven.Plus, I don't want to write a whole stream of posts with a full bad attitude. I'm looking for the positives. So this wasn't a list of inadequacies exactly, it was more like a list of what doesn't matter, what makes me an individual. What makes us all individuals. That's what these self-help gurus are always talking about- flaunting your flaws. You are not inadequate. God doesn't make mistakes. He doesn't have accidents. You were made, EXACTLY how he wanted you to be made. The same goes for that annoying person you don't really like or your best friend.
That's one of the hardest things to realise when you're living your own life for years and years. There is no hero or heroine of this story. There is no villain. There is no main character. We are all living with our talents, mistakes and feelings and that's how it's meant to be.