Saturday, February 25, 2012
Social Justice, Musical auditions & medicine
Nothing feels worth it anymore. It's an ugly feeling.

But on another note, some things do bring smiles like family, friends & that feeling you get when you realise someone trusts you. Some things I've thought of questioning recently. Like how we consider things like sleeping & smiling in photos normal but if it wasn't the usual thing to do, we'd think it was the strangest thing. Before cameras existed, who would think that we'd pose & smile just to look better in a picture & only for that picture. As for sleep, this tumblr post says it all:

People say, ‘I’m going to sleep now,’ as if it were nothing. But it’s really a bizarre activity. ‘For the next several hours, while the sun is gone, I’m going to become unconscious, temporarily losing command over everything I know and understand. When the sun returns, I will resume my life.’ If you didn’t know what sleep was, and you had only seen it in a science fiction movie, you would think it was weird and tell all your friends about the movie you’d seen. They had these people, you know? And they would walk around all day and be OK? And then, once a day, usually after dark, they would lie down on these special platforms and become unconscious. They would stop functioning almost completely, except deep in their minds they would have adventures and experiences that were completely impossible in real life. As they lay there, completely vulnerable to their enemies, their only movements were to occasionally shift from one position to another; or, if one of the ‘mind adventures’ got too real, they would sit up and scream and be glad they weren’t unconscious anymore. Then they would drink a lot of coffee.’ So, next time you see someone sleeping, make believe you’re in a science fiction movie. And whisper, ‘The creature is regenerating itself.


Not exactly a profound thought but just, yes, if you think about life in general from that angle, none of it really has true reasoning or beauty behind it. 

Other than those wiry thoughts, musical auditions which is really mind-blowing seeing so much talent in the grade that was hidden or not appreciated enough. I, of course, can't sing to save my life but I auditioned just for the LOLs & I do want to do it- I just know that I won't. BUT, because of stupid Matrix, I missed all the auditions that were on Friday- very unhappy about that. Oh, also, first Social Justice Committee meeting & it was alright, it made me excited that we had the opportunities to get involved in activities & movements & take initiative which was awesome. Also, we played a group-juggling game that was good fun. On Friday, after musical auditions & Matrix, I had dinner with my Dad at Beauty & the Beast. We had pasta & chili beef stew, talked pretty seriously & more intelligently than we have in a while [mostly about going overseas & medicine/being a doctor; Dad hardly answers anything seriously but that time, he honestly thought about my questions & have his opinion]. It was super nice- quality time rather than the "quantity time" [I like to call it] we usually have. Also, the food was delicious (:  Today, had UMAT class & the tutor [who is a GP] talked a lot about medicine & the difference between a specialist & GP but his lectures were so biased that it made me grit my teeth, thinking about Dad being a specialist & a lot of the stuff he said was just not entirely true. Other than that & the growing mountains of homework, this week was great.