Wednesday, March 9, 2011
WORK EXPERIENCE DAY # 3
TODAY WAS PRETTY FUN. I worked with cells & counted pancreas eyelets under the microscope.But honestly, it isn't real work experience, like i'm not left with any paperwork [probably because it's too important] but it's like a science program they put together for me which is fun. Everyday after work, Dad says "so what did you play with today ?". Meaning I was having fun instead of working. So true.
Today, I got to see the lab mice which are injected with stuff to make them diabetic for more tests. THEY SMELLED HORRIBLE but it was so cool like lab testing on animals & seeing them in their cages; pretty amazing. I also felt like I made friends today, like not just a forced polite smile or anything. I followed Mary Wong around [Laura Raguine on the first day, juust to remember their names LOL] while she did animal tests, like pricked to draw blood from their tails. I think that was awesome. We also had long talks about which Pandora charm she should get [she has a full braclet; I WANT ONE; she was trying to decide between a little elephant or a cow] & Korean dramas [commoground among asians].
I also met Vera Bender [who is an elderly Polish lady who is full sort of the boss of science because of how many years she must've been there]and Anne Vannaisinghe who is about 28ish. Anyways, it was Laura & Mary's joint birthday party today so I walked into the office after being in the lab with Steve [who was supernice again & let me play around with the pipettes & DNA ahahaha] & Vera was in the middle of putting salmon & avacado on a huge rice thing. & my first reaction, "what. the. hell" because it's this cramped office setting & this funny but old lady is humming softly, arranging fish & avacado. Mary pretended not to see since the cake is supposed to be a surprise & Anne kept shaking her head, hinting that we were meant to hide it. LOL I didn't get the message. Anyway, it turns out that it's Ash Wednesday so Catholics [including Mary & Laura] can't eat meat or dairy [apparently] so Vera was making a sushi cake. Just so you know, I'd never even seen or heard of a sushi cake before. IT WAS AWESOME. Vera started listing off ingredients like "salmon, egg, japanese mayonaise.." & Mary & Anne were fully nodding, commenting on how nice the cake looked & taking photos of it while I was like quiet, sort of thinking, "what the random, why is there a sushi cake on the desk ?". But then I was automatically hypnotized & kept asking about the cake & staring at it. LOLL, I started taking photos too.
I guess the closest picture on google would be like this:
I know it looks kind of retarded but it was so YUM. & Vera was so funny about it, old people can be so cute. She was twirling bits of smoked salmon to make them into rose buds & she wrapped seaweed around the edge so it looked kind of like a gigantic sushi roll. Apparently they were having a surprise bday party that I didn't know about. It was a nice surprise that people in the workplace still have the time to organise each other's birthday parties. At school, we buy a cake, ceebs to get plates so we steal forks from the canteen, gather like 50 people & yell "DIG INNNN". & it's so not a surprise since we all suck at keeping secrets.
But in the hospital rheumatology, we gathered that sushi cake, & a bunch of chip packets, Marina bought a cheesecake & we stole plates from the cafeteria. It was PAINFULLY way too organised compared to friends' birthday parties at school. I think everyone that I had met during the work experience was there- Prof. Manolios [& his secretary], Marina, Laura, Mary, Anne, Andrew [who gave a presentation this morning that I just listened in on without understanding], Charlotte [a med student from Germany who was at the meeting & another lady whose name I can't remember who was at the meeting. This made it pretty special. Steve [the immunology researcher who I spent the day with before] also dropped in & had pieces of cake. It was just nice, eating & talking, sometimes laughing about how old everyone was, discussing seriously & thoroughly about birthdays & starsigns, even lengthy discussions about random science to do with starsigns. I saw them as a bit boring & serious [obviously, through a teenager's eyes] but they're nice people & talk in random tangents like we do at school, although topics are a bit too mature.
I realised that even if I'd only met them 2 days ago & would leave in 2 days, THOSE moments are the experiences we live for. I know it's full corn & cheese, but I reckon more than looking at the lab experiments or learning new long words, having fun is the true essence of work experience, learning how to feel close to someone even after a few short days & even being able to open up, make parties with them & laugh with them are the experiences you remember. Creating moments, making things up as you go along, doing the best you can to become a part of them. That was awesome. PLUS THE SUSHI CAKE WAS DELISHHHH. (: I hope I can find the group photo we took that day, someone asked randomly to Prof Manolios [who took the photo], "waaait, why are we taking a photo ? who gets it ?", he just shrugged & said "who cares ? we just wanna take a photo". That's sort of a part of what I'm saying. JUST ENJOY.
Afterwards, Mary got the Pandora charm as a birthday present [that Marina & Prof N. bought] & SHE GOT THE COW. I was pretty surprised but Anne facepalmed at my inability to keep a secret & Laura got a really long box of expensive chocolates. eheh special day, midpoint of work experience & just realising what I'm supposed to be learning. I'M REALLY THANKFUL FOR THIS BRILLIANT TIME & BRILLIANT FUN, MORE TIMES TO COME. COOOOOL (:
the.end.
|
Wednesday, March 9, 2011
WORK EXPERIENCE DAY # 3
TODAY WAS PRETTY FUN. I worked with cells & counted pancreas eyelets under the microscope.But honestly, it isn't real work experience, like i'm not left with any paperwork [probably because it's too important] but it's like a science program they put together for me which is fun. Everyday after work, Dad says "so what did you play with today ?". Meaning I was having fun instead of working. So true.
Today, I got to see the lab mice which are injected with stuff to make them diabetic for more tests. THEY SMELLED HORRIBLE but it was so cool like lab testing on animals & seeing them in their cages; pretty amazing. I also felt like I made friends today, like not just a forced polite smile or anything. I followed Mary Wong around [Laura Raguine on the first day, juust to remember their names LOL] while she did animal tests, like pricked to draw blood from their tails. I think that was awesome. We also had long talks about which Pandora charm she should get [she has a full braclet; I WANT ONE; she was trying to decide between a little elephant or a cow] & Korean dramas [commoground among asians].
I also met Vera Bender [who is an elderly Polish lady who is full sort of the boss of science because of how many years she must've been there]and Anne Vannaisinghe who is about 28ish. Anyways, it was Laura & Mary's joint birthday party today so I walked into the office after being in the lab with Steve [who was supernice again & let me play around with the pipettes & DNA ahahaha] & Vera was in the middle of putting salmon & avacado on a huge rice thing. & my first reaction, "what. the. hell" because it's this cramped office setting & this funny but old lady is humming softly, arranging fish & avacado. Mary pretended not to see since the cake is supposed to be a surprise & Anne kept shaking her head, hinting that we were meant to hide it. LOL I didn't get the message. Anyway, it turns out that it's Ash Wednesday so Catholics [including Mary & Laura] can't eat meat or dairy [apparently] so Vera was making a sushi cake. Just so you know, I'd never even seen or heard of a sushi cake before. IT WAS AWESOME. Vera started listing off ingredients like "salmon, egg, japanese mayonaise.." & Mary & Anne were fully nodding, commenting on how nice the cake looked & taking photos of it while I was like quiet, sort of thinking, "what the random, why is there a sushi cake on the desk ?". But then I was automatically hypnotized & kept asking about the cake & staring at it. LOLL, I started taking photos too.
I guess the closest picture on google would be like this:
I know it looks kind of retarded but it was so YUM. & Vera was so funny about it, old people can be so cute. She was twirling bits of smoked salmon to make them into rose buds & she wrapped seaweed around the edge so it looked kind of like a gigantic sushi roll. Apparently they were having a surprise bday party that I didn't know about. It was a nice surprise that people in the workplace still have the time to organise each other's birthday parties. At school, we buy a cake, ceebs to get plates so we steal forks from the canteen, gather like 50 people & yell "DIG INNNN". & it's so not a surprise since we all suck at keeping secrets.
But in the hospital rheumatology, we gathered that sushi cake, & a bunch of chip packets, Marina bought a cheesecake & we stole plates from the cafeteria. It was PAINFULLY way too organised compared to friends' birthday parties at school. I think everyone that I had met during the work experience was there- Prof. Manolios [& his secretary], Marina, Laura, Mary, Anne, Andrew [who gave a presentation this morning that I just listened in on without understanding], Charlotte [a med student from Germany who was at the meeting & another lady whose name I can't remember who was at the meeting. This made it pretty special. Steve [the immunology researcher who I spent the day with before] also dropped in & had pieces of cake. It was just nice, eating & talking, sometimes laughing about how old everyone was, discussing seriously & thoroughly about birthdays & starsigns, even lengthy discussions about random science to do with starsigns. I saw them as a bit boring & serious [obviously, through a teenager's eyes] but they're nice people & talk in random tangents like we do at school, although topics are a bit too mature.
I realised that even if I'd only met them 2 days ago & would leave in 2 days, THOSE moments are the experiences we live for. I know it's full corn & cheese, but I reckon more than looking at the lab experiments or learning new long words, having fun is the true essence of work experience, learning how to feel close to someone even after a few short days & even being able to open up, make parties with them & laugh with them are the experiences you remember. Creating moments, making things up as you go along, doing the best you can to become a part of them. That was awesome. PLUS THE SUSHI CAKE WAS DELISHHHH. (: I hope I can find the group photo we took that day, someone asked randomly to Prof Manolios [who took the photo], "waaait, why are we taking a photo ? who gets it ?", he just shrugged & said "who cares ? we just wanna take a photo". That's sort of a part of what I'm saying. JUST ENJOY.
Afterwards, Mary got the Pandora charm as a birthday present [that Marina & Prof N. bought] & SHE GOT THE COW. I was pretty surprised but Anne facepalmed at my inability to keep a secret & Laura got a really long box of expensive chocolates. eheh special day, midpoint of work experience & just realising what I'm supposed to be learning. I'M REALLY THANKFUL FOR THIS BRILLIANT TIME & BRILLIANT FUN, MORE TIMES TO COME. COOOOOL (:
the.end.
|
Profilé
Writer
Hello, I'm Grace, 16, Christian, go to a school filled with cows & Asians & loving it like mad. You can't really talk about yourself without sounding like an attention-seeking derp so yeah, this blog is for to read when I'm old & my memory's all gone LOL but I hope it cures your boredom sometimes.
Recent
|
Affiliates
|