Monday, March 7, 2011
WORK EXPERIENCE; day #1
Since none of my employers will see this LOL, I think it's safe to like write all this down. Even though it's a waste of time, I managed to stay completely off the internet [except for a little status writing on fb (:] & so I think I deserve this break. Not really, since I've also watched a block of TV today. Whatever, I'll stop talking in tangents.

Today, I went to the Rheumatology Medical Lab at Westmead Hospital. In short, I thought it would be boring, sciencey, with people giving me cynical, frustrated & condescending looks. I KNOW ! VERY JUDGEMENTAL ! But I think that's how I view any successful/smart people, & yeah so I walked in pretty nervously [looking very much like a waitress/caterer in the clothes I was wearing; ahh but going for the business look (;] & then having supposedly "witty" & retarded conversations with my dad in the car on the way there. He doesn't realise my nervousness because he's been a doctor for like 20 years literally & thinks it's seriously a breeze, just walking into a hospital & even helping out for a week [side note: I'm more like a burden than a help but whatever]. The point is, I was putting in snark comments & just being a little edgy, not seriously but I think a lot more sarcasm was used than usual.

So we walk into the office where my employer is supposed to be & she's like SUPER NICE. She sort of looks like a much warmer & opener version of Mrs. Pooviah [sp??] I guess. She greets me straight away. & I'm actually really shy when I meet someone for the first time but I was alright, more open than usual. Dad, being the traitor he is xP, leaves & goes "HAVE FUN. BE A GOOD GIRL". [I think most people who work there know him]. Anyways, Dr. Marina Ali tells me to sit at a desk & starts asking questions & I'm sitting awkwardly, trying to show that I am completely ready but really looking even awkwarder if that's possible & nodding to everything she's saying. Then a girl walks in [I think either middle of or finished uni], her name's Laura & even though she looks kind of serious at first, she ends up being really nice & takes the time to explain everything, & then the two of them chat about things I don't know for a few minutes. But it's really casual, like Marina's more like the supervisor than a teacher I guess so they talk about Laura's birthday & boyfriend problems & all that.

Then, Marina tells me to look at a textbook [which confused me thoroughly] but I was trying to be enthusiastic & nodded going "ohh yeah yeah". I probably seemed pretty pretentious. & THANK GOD, I WAS SAVED. Soon afterwards, I left the awkwardness of first meetings & the cramped office & go to the lab with Laura. & IT WAS AMAZING. The complicated machines, tubs & tubes of all these random liquids, cluttered about, labcoats & gloves. It was like a school lab but WAY more messy with more serious looking things [like the fume hood] & crazy boxes of dry ice. I LOVED IT. Not because I saw all this stuff but what I got to do with them. I measured out this fluffy white powder into 10 test tubes, different types, like amino acids. And secretly, even though it was pretty simple to use the balance & sterilise & everything, I felt proud because I looked so mad-scientisty. I really wanted to take photos. LOL. Laura kept explaining in simple terms, like the random analogies she made up made us laugh so much [both for their stupidity & genious]. HEHE I SOUND LIKE SUCH A DORK BUT I MEAN IT. It was pretty cool. Then the white powdery stuff & the resin went through a full tubed machine with random chugging & the sound of dripping that made it sound like it was being transformed into a tablet or something. Marina came in & showed me computer graphing of purifying somethingsomething. I barely understood but it was just fun watching, honestly. & using the pipette gun made me feel pretty hardcore (;
All in all, I did all these things I thought I'd never be allowed near & the fact that all this experimental, patched-up research that I'm seeing now has the possibility to turn into a new drug in 20 years or something blows my mind, the change that could happen really inspires me. I think that's what I was looking for in work experience & am insanely happy I found it.

Apparently, on Wednesday, I get to test on animals. That might turn out bad or incredible so I can't wait. I'm actually excited now.

That's basically the sum up. THE END.

Also, there's this secret I found on sixbillionsecrets that I was going to dedicate a whole blog post to but to put it simply.. yeah.

It's about a girl who has everything she wants, like everything [looks, smarts, family & friends] but she wants to know what it's like to long for or wait for something.

Yeah, my rant is, WHO COMPLAINS ABOUT SOMETHING LIKE THAT ? THAT IS INSANE ! Who would want to know what it's like to wait for something ? It sucks; plus, anyone who thinks of themselves as that perfect & going "ohh but I have everything, but I want to know what it's like to SUFFER" is just seeking attention, really full of it. No respect for anyone like that, it's just so stupid when people have real sufferings.