Friday, December 23, 2011
Another tribute to my family- personality quizzes
Just had the best hour & a half of my holidays, laughing on my parents' bed, just the four of us. I borrowed this fraud-like book from the library today- "Career, aptitude and selection tests" by Jim Barrett- but never knew what fun it could bring on. I was testing Sarah's personality & was reading out the questions & Mum kept chiming in with answers like "no, she's not very lively..yes, yes, she is quite passive". All the questions & method of finding the personality were complete bullcrap but we went along with it because it was hilarious. And there was a question which was like, "do people perceive you as stunning?" & because Mum is Mum, she went "OF COURSE, my Sarah is always stunning!" & Sarah just went, "Duh". & so I just went "so that's a no" & circled no. Pretty much everything went like that until the person that was supposed to be answering about their personality didn't get a say because of all the chimers in the family. Turns out that Sarah is a "lone wolf" as Sarah likes to put it [as she flares her nostrils] with passive & deliberate tendencies & I'm gregarious & spontaneous. Apparently, complete opposites despite how similar we look. We tried to deduce Dad's personality but he was half-asleep & a troll which meant he kept going "yes, yes, definitely, no, perhaps" about everything & Mum had to answer everything for him. I also realised whenever we asked the questions, we talked in British accents to sound like a proper questionaire. We gave up on Dad's personality test because his is pretty simple- strange, simply nerd but a family man- also, he kept trolling. So we did Mum's & hers was probably the most miserable & lonely because Dad & Sarah kept blurting out things like, "no, she doesn't like to make contact with people" & "she has a lot of troubles!". Especially Dad because after we gave up on his personality quiz, we went on to Mum's & he suddenly came wide awake. But yeah, anyway, I kept looking over at Mum to see if it hurt her & maybe I'm being too much of an unrealistically idealistic teenager because do you think an adult would care if someone answered things like that for them in a personality quiz? I think I would care if people so close to me thought of me that way but that's because I'm a self-centred 15 year old. Mum only had some pangs of hurt from what I could see but she accepted them because she's like that.
To me, Mum is the most beautiful person in the world- always patient & giving things we never deserve, constantly dependable & loving- but she conflicts with most people who aren't her family, even Dad sometimes so mainly her two daughters are the exception. It makes me sad that others on the outside [say, the other mums at church, because Mum doesn't fit in there] can't see these things & I wish she could treat everyone else the way she treats Sarah & I because then they would see it. Dad is the same amount of amazingness but more compatible with people outside the family because he's a doctor & involved more in the church but they also don't see half of it, I think. Sarah is always hilarious, sweet, so damn clever, morally sound & kind for a 12 year old but again, people outside the family could never see it because she's sarcastic & shy around people she doesn't know. It makes me wonder how much I hide from everyone else but I'm the most open & attention-seeking out of my family so I know that it's not that much. Also, I'm not nearly as brilliant as anyone in my family so it makes me sad for them that they aren't appreciated- it's like who they are is never seen & is wasted- especially Mum. She truly doesn't know how great she is because she never hears it from anyone except us & we all know no one takes compliments from family members seriously. It makes me sad that she doesn't have much of a social life outside being a mum & a wife because she deserves one so badly. Sorry, this was supposed to be about the fun times I had with my family but it's turning into something negative. I don't know if you understand a lot of this but to put it simply, the possibility that Mum might be sad because she doesn't have many other people makes me miserable. Mum's results were very solitary, imaginative & the most passive you can get.
I don't know if she was bothered by that but there were so many laughs in the middle. Sarah's manly-voice chimes about how Mum is a lone wolf like herself & Dad's teasing about how Mum is very restful [because she naps a LOT], loves announcing everything she's doing ["Sarah! Mummy's taking a shower", "Grace! Mummy's going to do the dishes"]. Sarah & I taking digs at each other about how I never shut up & like to talk to people even when they never want to talk to me & how Sarah always mutters morbid & cynical things under her breath.
Anyway, it was very fun & like with any family, you wouldn't understand the inside jokes of another so please ignore the next few conversations because they'll be lame to you. They're for me to remember later on (: Hope you have a fantastic rest-of-the-holidays !
Me- "Mum, would you perceive yourself to be precise?"
Mum- "Yes, very"
Sarah & Dad- "NO"
Me- "She's only ever precise with Dad's spending"
Mum & Dad [LOLing]
Sarah- "Are you unsure about how you fit in with other people?"
Me- "Yes, no..um.. yes, yeah, kind of, not really, I think-"
Sarah- "Grace, let me put this simply for you. You. Don't. Fit. In. Doesn't matter how long you think about whether you think you do".
Me- "Do you prefer not to discuss with anyone what you're going to do?"
Mum- "Yes"
Sarah & Dad- "NO. Are you freaking kidding? She tells everyone what she's going to & about to do ALL THE TIME".
Me- "Are you fairly quiet in a group?"
Sarah- "No" [I think she likes to think of herself as outgoing"]
Me & Mum- "YES"
Sarah- "What?!"
Me- "You've never talked to your piano teacher, you always nod or use some weird miming face expression or sign language" -Mum nods in absolute agreement-
Sarah- "Do you rarely get emotional?"
Me- "Defs"
Everyone- "WHAT?!"
Sarah- "You never shut up about how angry or depressed or happy you are. You sometimes go into your room to cry about nothing like a little baby".
It surprised me how different my family perceived me at home & how I am at school. Apparently, I'm a lot more temperamental, emotional & self-absorbed at home. It was interesting & great family time.
Sarah & I also like to poke each other & tell each other seriously, "you've just been touched by an angel".
Can't imagine a universe without them. <3