Sunday, April 8, 2012
Improbability of Life
"Life, its Mystery and Immensity
"I love beauty and I am enthralled by beautiful people. Unfortunately, I have very primitive fashion sense and there is no hope for me to attain any degree of physical beauty and enhance it. The situation hasn’t improved a lot with the help of my life partner who regrettably does not seem to have much advanced sense of fashion.
Life is full of mystery. Life is really, really, really full of mystery.
I am told that I am living on a planet which is big but it is actually really, really small in the whole universe which is really, really big containing billions and billions of stars. I am told that the world began with Big Bang which happened really, really long time ago. Billions of years have passed and I occupy a tiny, tiny speck on that time line.
I am told that there are many billions of people living on this planet. I only know a tiny, tiny portion of those people and I will be never aware of existence of many billions of people. I am told that many, many people existed in the past but I never shared the space and time with these multitudes of people who had lived and died on this planet I am living now.
I am told that everything is made up of billions and billions of tiny particles but we are hardly aware of us being made up of billions and billions of tiny particles. I am told that my body is made up of many, many living cells. Many of them, parts of me, are ‘born’ and ‘die’ every day. I neither rejoice nor grieve over their birth or death.
I have my parents. They had their parents. I am the current manifestation of all of my ancestors who can be numbered in many, many thousands. I carry a part of all those individuals. I am also sharing common parts with all other fellow human beings who have ever been and they are literally my biological brothers and sisters. I have my own children and, hopefully, they will have their children. My imprint will be diluted over generations but, nevertheless, it is an amazing thought that many thousands in future can potentially carry a part of me.
I only live in perpetual present. Not only that, I share that perpetual simultaneous present with many other contemporary fellow human beings. I can only live one moment at a time and my past is all that I remember before it fades away in memory. I can reasonably predict that ‘a future I’ will carry on my present existence. Time is incredible. I live only at present but, somehow, it is a huge continuum flowing forward all the time giving the shape of my life.
People are amazed at miracles and supernatural happenings but I am totally mesmerized by incredible mystery of nature itself. Ordinaries are so extraordinary to me that I am absolutely being awed by ordinaries. Extraordinary happenings are just aberrations from theses amazing ‘ordinary’ life to me.
Life is a stage. We can live and enjoy acting our own parts on this huge stage called life and world but our roles on this stage are finite. We have the stage now but we have to hand it over soon to people to come as our predecessors have done before."
The author? My father. Love you, dad.This is just an extract of a chapter I came across & it just voiced all my fragmented thoughts about purpose & whatnot.
But also found this paragraph which made me LOL & because my mum said she vaguely read it [although she didn't], I pointed it out & now my dad's getting hit ehehe.
"I love beauty and I am enthralled by beautiful people. Unfortunately, I have very primitive fashion sense and there is no hope for me to attain any degree of physical beauty and enhance it. The situation hasn’t improved a lot with the help of my life partner who regrettably does not seem to have much advanced sense of fashion.
In fact, I am not jealous of beautiful outfit which I do not much care about but I am envious of beautiful mind. I do envy people with beautiful mind. We witness people who can see things with utmost clarity and engage in creative activities in their chosen fields. They can be composers, artists, mathematicians, scientists, economists or authors. They possess far-reaching insight and understanding of issues and we sometimes call them geniuses. However, even with their amazing clarity, it is impossible for them to grasp the whole truth even in their smallest field and there seems to be always another layer on top of what they see and comprehend. This can be the reflection of true wonders of nature and life in it and also the obvious fact that a creature can never catch up with one’s Creator."
I love & respect my parents very much usually but there are these sorts of moments when you realise that behind the simple way they act with me, they also have thoughts that go beyond just living. These are things my dad would never discuss with me, seeing as the most serious he goes is when he's talking about med, but it's almost motivating & pretty surprising that he thinks & questions these things the way I do, only without the teenage confusions & insecurities I guess.
I love & respect my parents very much usually but there are these sorts of moments when you realise that behind the simple way they act with me, they also have thoughts that go beyond just living. These are things my dad would never discuss with me, seeing as the most serious he goes is when he's talking about med, but it's almost motivating & pretty surprising that he thinks & questions these things the way I do, only without the teenage confusions & insecurities I guess.